While much has been written about a Stephen Minister’s role, and additional info is available on the St. Matts website or from stephenmisistries.org, many people do not get the whole picture of what a Stephen Minister is equipped to do.
The following is an adaptation of an illustration from Julie McGlory, St. Matthew Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Burleson, TX. Consider the Stephen Minister’s body and what it can provide:
- Head: Thinking about God’s will
- Eyes: Looking out for your best interest; also, crying is allowed
- Ears: Ready to listen
- Mouth: Mum is the word (confidentiality)
- Heart: Christ is at the heart and center of care
- Arms: Available for hugs
- Hands: A hand to help or hold
- Legs: Stand by you all the way
- Feet: Willing to go the extra mile
- Shoulders: Always available to lean on
- Back: Will bend over backwards to serve you
- Hips: Not to push, not to pull…but to be at your side
BEHIND YOU 100%
I believe these physical images are an excellent way to remember all that a Stephen Minister is equipped to do. For further inquiries, or if you feel the need for support, please contact a Stephen Minister, Stephen Leader or Mother Liz.